Should we care about Biodiversity?
Human activities are causing a rapid decline in biodiversity worldwide. At least 40 per cent of the world’s economy and 80 per cent of the needs of the poor are derived from biological resources. In addition, the richer the diversity of life, the greater the opportunity for medical discoveries, economic development, and adaptive responses to such new challenges as climate change.
Why is it important that we try to conserve biodiversity?
Do you think we are morally obliged to conserve biodiversity?
Try and list all the benefits we get from biodiversity.
Biodiversity boosts ecosystem productivity, a productive ecosystem provides a number of natural services for everyone:
Ecosystem services, such as
- Protection of water resources
- Soils formation and protection
- Nutrient storage and recycling
- Pollution breakdown and absorption
- Contribution to climate stability
- Maintenance of ecosystems
- Recovery from unpredictable events
Biological resources, such as
- Medicinal resources and pharmaceutical drugs
- Wood products
- Ornamental plants
- Breeding stocks, population reservoirs
- Future resources
- Diversity in genes, species and ecosystems
Social benefits, such as
- Research, education and monitoring
- Recreation and tourism
- Cultural values