Wider works alongside water testing include:
- Collaborating with the Environment Agency & Yorkshire Water, looking at connecting efforts to drive forward fact gathering and on the ground interventions to improve water quality from pollution sources including non-mains sewerage.
- Supporting capital interventions of river protection through catchment walkovers, highlighting opportunities to support improvements. Capital interventions include river fencing (before and after example photo below!) and engaging with farmers across the catchment.
- Creating a farming calendar to track the effects of differing farming practices on river health throughout the year.
- Collaborating with other organisations in the catchment to join up where work overlaps, including joint meetings with the Catchment Sensitive Farming representatives along the Wharfe from Natural England and the Yorkshire Dales National Park (YDNP) and the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
- Distributing leaflets and advice on septic tank good practice to holiday homes and caravan parks in the area to help reduce the effects of non-mains drainage pollution.
- Developing a Data Hub to help encourage and make it easier to identify and share data across the River Wharf. A collaboration between the Dales to Vales Rivers Network and the national Rivers Trust, funded by the Environment Agency.